We all want to be accepted. We don’t want to go against the crowd. We want to fit in. But according to Romans 12:2, we as Christians, should NOT conform to the world. So how do we stand out and glorify God? How can we stand out and still have friends? Check out these 5 ways to stand out. (Ideas are adapted from 5 Ways to Stand Out by Callie Pritchett featured in His Girl).
- Treat people with respect. Most people don’t take the time to be courteous to others today. In our fast-paced world everything is about me, myself, and I. Smile, help your neighbor carry in their groceries, send someone a card, give a hug. There are so many acts of kindness that you can do. Be creative!
- Believe in yourself–and act like it. Most teen girls struggle with self-confidence and self-worth. I know I sure do. The only way to be truly confident and satisfied with who you are is to get your source of confidence from God alone. He is the only one who can satisfy you. Hold your head up high because you are a princess of the King of Kings!
- Find your passion and follow it. What do you dream about? What makes you go the extra mile? Find something you love to do and pursue it. Maybe God has gifted you with musical talent. Practice and perform for God. Or maybe you are a gifted athlete. Train for Jesus and be a light to your teammates. Honor God in everything that you do.
- Use your giftedness. As a Christian, you have spiritual gifts that you can use to honor God. Like encouragement or leadership skills. To see a list of spiritual gifts check out 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 and Romans 12:4-8. If you aren’t sure what your spiritual gifts are, ask your mom or dad or even your pastor. My gifts are leadership and administration. I am great at seeing a need and getting it done. I am also good at leadership projects and taking charge when no one else steps up to do it. Once I know my gifts, then I can get involved at my local church and stand out for Jesus.
- Live what you say you believe. Strive to make your life match your beliefs. You may be the only Bible someone ever reads. If you believe that you should honor God in everything you do, then don’t settle for less than God’s best. Don’t be a “weekend Christian” where you go to church on Sunday and then live how you want to live Monday through Friday. Live for Jesus 24/7!